Warts on face are raised bumps on skin that are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV). Warts are harmless but look ugly and are contagious. Get insight about the causes of warts, pictures and the best home remedy for removal of warts.
Warts on face
Generally warts are of different types depending on the location of the appearance. Some of the common types of warts include:
These are type of warts that mostly appear on the fingers and toes but according to the recent surveys, they can appear elsewhere on the body like face. These warts are grayer than the surrounding skin. They are also marked by rough, grainy appearance and a rounded top.
These are warts that are commonly found on the soles of the feet. These warts grow within the skin unlike other type of warts. The wart appears as a small hole on the bottom of the foot surrounded by hardened skin. These warts make walking uncomfortable. It is also known as Verrucas or verrucae
These are the common type of warts that are found on the face. They harmless and painless. They take the color of the skin in most occasion but they are brownish, yellowish or pinkish color with a flat top. These warts grow in clusters and this feature makes them to be more visible on the face.
These are long threadlike bumps on the skin of the face or anywhere else. These warts grow individually and are found on the eyelids and the lips. Due their location on face, they are painful and cause annoyance.
These are warts that are found around the groin and can also appear inside the vagina or anus. These warts are contagious and can easily spread from one point to another, this according to Dr. Gardner. The research shows that they are the most common type of STD in North America.
Warts on Face Causes
Warts on your face are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) and can be spread by skin to skin contact with people who have warts. However, these viruses that the ability of being transmitted to other parts of the body that come into close contact.
According to doctors from the Mayo Clinic, warts are very contagious and are spread by touching something that another person’s wart has touched and enters the body through a break in the skin.
This is the reason why sharing an infected towel, using exercise equipment at the gym, shaking hands, or turning doorknobs can result in common warts.
Also you can get warts by touch your face with hands or fingers that have develop warts already. Therefore, you have to be very cautious with this type of skin infection.
Dr. Brunilda Nazario on WebMD, not every person who comes into close contact with this virus gets warts on the face. This is because of the strong immune system that fights off the virus and helps the body to prevent the skin infection.
According to Dr. Nazario, children and young adults are more susceptible of developing warts on the face and any other part of the body. This is because of the development immune system that is not stable to battle off the infection form the various.
Flat Warts on Face
Warts on the face can be caused by a viral infection that occurs on the outer layer of the skin. Flat warts have the ability to occur on any part of the body but they mainly occur on the hands, face, neck, and feet.
There are many types of infections from the human papillomavirus (HPV) that can result in development of flat warts. Most of these viruses enter the skin through a cut, scratch, or abrasion.
Facial flat warts are source of embarrassment and discomforts. Getting rid of flat warts on the face is too difficult since it requires a lot of patience in order to go completely.
There are numerous remedies such as apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide that are known to get rid of the dry rough skin around the warts and even the HPV.
There are some instances that you may develop warts that require stronger treatments for effective elimination either on the face, hands or the sole of the feet. Therefore, it is recommended to understand the cause, the type of wart in order to identify the best treatment of the warts.
Pictures of Warts on Face
Warts on the face are said to be harmless but there are many reason why you should find ways on how to get rid of them. The pictures in the article show various causes, symptoms and how to remove warts on the face or hands.
The skin growth on the face is unsightly and this is the reason you should learn how to get rid of them. One reason for removal of warts from face is for aesthetics purpose.
Since most types of warts are caused by HPV, they are very contagious and this is also the reason behind their removal from the face.
For example, if the fingers wart touches a scratch on your skin after shaving, you may end up with warts on your face, legs or armpits.
Therefore, Dr. Derrer recommends that to prevent warts spreading, you should always wash your hands after touching a wart and never pick at them.
It is also recommended to remove warts from the face in case it changes color, causes discomfort, or start to bleed.
Warts on Face Home Remedy
There are many home remedy that have been found to be effective in the removal of the wart from the face and any other part of the body. There is even some scientific research to back up these anecdotal reports.
Some of the popular home remedies for treating warts on the face include:
- Apple cider vinegar
This is the most common remedy for removal of warts and effective for general health. It is said to contain high amount of acetic acid which has antiviral and antimicrobial properties which can help kill off the human papillomavirus.
According to the research published by the Danish Medical Bulletin, the presence of acetic acid in apple cider vinegar help to get rid of warts by killing the human papillomavirus infection.
Also, there are so many reports from many health sites like WebMD and healthine that shows how apple cider remove warts and skin tags from face.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Cotton ball
How to use apple cider vinegar for removal of warts
It is so simple to use this antiviral component in the treatment of the warts on the face. Here are the steps to follow:
- Soak a small cotton pad in apple cider vinegar and place it over the hand wart.
- Use a band-aid or secured piece of gauze to keep the ACV remedy in place on the wart overnight.
- Continue to apply every night until the wart on your hand disappears. (It should take at least a week to remove the wart completely.)
- Hydrogen peroxide
This is a popular type of home remedy that is used to get rid of warts from the face. Hydrogen peroxide has numerous properties such as natural astringent, disinfecting, and antiviral agent thus playing a big role in the removal of warts from the face.
Hydrogen peroxide is powerful in the removal of warts from the skin and this is the reason why it should be diluted and be kept away from the children and even the pets.
Be very cautious especially if you are using hydrogen peroxide to remove warts around the eyes, or other sensitive part of the body and even removal of the skin tags.
- Dilute hydrogen peroxide
- Cotton swab
- Nail file
How to use hydrogen peroxide:
- Gently file the top layer of skin from the facial wart.
- Soak the end of the cotton swab in full strength food-grade hydrogen peroxide.
- Carefully dab it on the wart and rub it slightly for the solution to penetrate into the skin growth.
- Repeat 3-5 times a day for a week or two until the hand wart becomes darker and falls off.
- Duct tape
There are many health websites that have mention duct tape to be effective in the removal of the warts on the face and hands. Also, according to the report from the American Academy of Dermatology, it also shows how effective duct tape is in the removal of the warts.
Duct tape has the ability of suffocating warts by cutting off the air supply. This is according to many scientific researches that prove how effective duct tape is in the removal of warts.
According to a study published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, it shows that duct tape does the same work as cryotherapy (freezing the wart).
Most of these warts are remove in the first month of treatment as per the statistic of 85% of the patients suffering from warts.
- Duct tape
- Pumice stone
How to use duct tape
- Clean the area around the wart using a pumice stone to remove any dirt and grime and dry thoroughly.
- Cut a piece of duct tape just large enough to cover your wart.
- Carefully apply the duct tape over your hand wart and press firmly for good adhesion, making sure that no air gets in.
- Leave the duct tape on for 6 days and then remove.
- Soak the wart in warm water for around a minute to soften the skin growth.
- Using a file or emery board, remove the top layer of dead skin from the hand wart.
- Leave the wart uncovered overnight and on the next day repeat the process. But this time you can leave the tape for just a few days.
- Continue applying the duct tape until you get rid of your wart for good.
- Garlic extract
This is a natural remedy that is endowed with antiviral properties that help to get rid of many viral infections. Garlic extract can also be used for facial wart removal. This is because it has powerful antimicrobial properties that help to get rid of the HPV and help remove warts from your face.
According to study published in the International Journal of Dermatology, it proves how effective garlic extract is in getting rid of warts on the face and hands. In fact, researchers found garlic to be so effective at removing warts that warts were removed from nearly all patients.
Few cloves of garlic
How to use garlic extract
- Peel and crush a few cloves of garlic. Rub the paste on the affected area.
- You can also consume it orally.
- Citric acid
This is another home remedy that is used in the removal of the warts on the face. It has very little side effect on the skin after application. The research shows that it is a natural antioxidant that can help to reduce the spread of viruses and kill off viral infections.
According to the research done by the Indian Journal of Dermatology, it shows that 50% citric acid solution is effective in the removal of the warts from face.
- Thyme Oil For Warts
According to the scientific research, it is said to be virucidal that is the property that helps to get rid of viruses that causes development of warts on the face or finger or genitals.
- 1 drop thyme oil
- 1 drop carrier oil
- Warm water
How to use it
- Soak the affected area in the warm water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pat dry and apply a mixture of the thyme oil and carrier oil.
- Let it air-dry.
- Nail Polish For Warts
It works by suffocating the virus when the wart is restricted from supply of oxygen. This suffocates and kills the virus, just like the duct tape method.
Clear nail polish
Nail polish remover
How to use it
- Apply a thick coat of the nail polish on the wart and let it dry.
- Clean using a nail polish remover after a few hours.
- Lavender Oil For Warts
It helps to get rid of the infection resulting in the formation of warts and also soothes the skin.
What You Have To Do
- Apply a drop or two on the wart and let it air-dry.
- Apply this twice a day.
- Clove Oil For Warts
It has antiviral property which helps to inhibit the reproduction process of the virus and eliminates the infection causing formation of warts on the skin.
- Clove oil
How to use clove oil
- Apply the oil on the wart and cover with the band-aid.
- Repeat this once every day till the wart shrinks.
- Neem Oil For Warts
It has strong antiviral properties that kill the virus that causes development of warts and also inhibits spreading of the warts to other parts of the body.
- 1-2 drops neem oil
How to use neem oil
- Apply the oil on the wart and cover with bandage.
- Change the bandage and apply fresh oil every day.
- Repeat this till the wart falls off.
- Potato For Wart Removal
It has acidic content that help to dehydrate and get rid of the virus causing the wart from the face. You will see your warts getting smaller in two to three weeks.
How to use it
- Take a peeled slice of a raw potato and rub it vigorously on the warts.
- Do this a few times every day.
- Turmeric For Warts
It has antimicrobial properties will kill the infection and remove the warts.
- Turmeric powder
How to use it
- Mix the turmeric powder with water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the wart and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with water. You can rub a slice of lemon over the area to get rid of the turmeric coloring.
- How Often Do You Need To Do This
- Apply this once or twice a day.
- Vitamins To Get Rid Of Warts
Some of the common vitamins for treating warts include:
Vitamin A for Warts
It helps to diminish warts on face without leaving behind scars. It also helps to hinder the replication process of the virus and also initiates an immune response from the body against the warts.
Vitamin E Oil for Warts
It is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps to speeds up the natural healing process of the warts.
How to use it:
- Extract the oil from the capsule and apply on the wart.
- Cover with a bandage for the entire day.
- Remove the bandage before going to bed.
It has acidic component that help to help to kill the virus and make the wart smaller, until it falls off or disappears. Crush the tablets and add some water to make a paste. Apply the paste on the wart. Cover it with an adhesive bandage or duct tape.
- Baking Soda On Warts
It is antiseptic solutions that help to get rid of the virus causing development of warts from the various body parts.
How to use
- Dissolve the baking soda in water and soak the affected hand or foot in the solution for about 30 minutes.
- Do not wipe your hand or foot. Instead, air-dry it.
- Thuja Oil For Warts
This type of remedy works more effective on warts that smell or bleed, foot warts, and genital warts. It also boosts the immune system to fight off the virus causing the development of warts on the face. This is due to antiviral properties.
How to use
- Apply the oil on the wart and cover with a band-aid.
- Remove the band-aid the next day, reapply the oil, and cover with a fresh band-aid again.
- Frankincense Oil For Warts
When it is digested, it helps to improve the general immune system in the body. it is also known in the removal of scars, warts, and moles. It has anti-inflammatory and wound healing properties.
How to use it
- Clean the wart area and apply a drop of the essential oil.
- Cover with the bandage.
- Change the bandage every day and reapply a drop of the oil while changing.
- Coconut Oil For Warts
It is known in getting rid of plantar warts, facial warts, and even genital warts. This is due to the presence of mild acidic properties that acts as an emollient and soothes the skin.
How to use it
- Lightly heat the coconut oil and apply on the warts.
- Massage for a few minutes so that the oil absorbed by the skin
- Do not rinse after massaging.
- Banana Peel Wart Removal
It has some enzymes that help to heal and rejuvenate the skin wart. It also pose antimicrobial properties.
How to use it
- Rub the wart with a banana peel for a few minutes.
- You can also place the peel directly on the wart and keep it in place using an adhesive bandage.
Medical Treatments for Warts
Although warts on face can be removed by use of home remedies, there are some warts that can persist for so long on the skin. Your dermatologist may recommend other treatments in case you have warts on the hands, face, or other areas of your body.
According to the Mayo Clinic, some of the common medical treatments include:
- Salicylic acid
This is a chemical peeler that removes layers of the wart over a period of time. This usually requires manually removing dead skin layers with a file or emery board and applying the salicylic acid daily.
It involves use of nitrogen that helps to get rid of warts by freezing. This method causes formation of a blister under the rough skin growth and the wart should fall off in a week or so.
- Laser therapy
It helps to burn the blood vessels that feed the wart. However, this method is known to cause pain and scarring.
Warts on Face Removal Cream
Some of the common types of creams that are used to get rid of warts on the face include:
- Salcoll Collagen Wart Remover
- Terrasil Wart Removal Ointment
- Wartosin Wart Remover
- WARTS—10 WAYS TO GET RID OF THEM NATURALLY:
- How to Remove Facial Warts:
- Getting Rid of Facial Warts: How And With What?
- How to Get Rid of Warts on Face:
- Facial Warts- How to Get Rid Of Warts On Your Face: